honors-and-memorials

Broughton, Andrew and Eva

Andrew and Eva Broughton
Andrew Jackson Broughton Eva May High Broughton
December 27, 1875 - October 31, 1941 October 12, 1885 - March 29, 1945

Married: June 5, 1912 (photo 1937)
Children: John Sutton Broughton, November 5, 1913
Philip Ray Broughton, Dec. 1, 1923

 

A. J. Broughton left his home in eastern North Carolina in 1900 to work in Georgetown, South Carolina, for the Atlantic Lumber Corp. He moved to Kenly, North Carolina, in 1910, employed by Dennis Simmons Lumber Co. In 1914 he began a mercantile business in the growing town of Kenly and operated this business until 1932. From then until his death, he owned and operated five farms in the Kenly area.


While living in the Kenly Community, he made considerable contributions to its growth by serving on the Board of Town Commissioners (1915-1931) and serving as Treasurer of the Town of Kenly from 1917 until 1931. During the next two years, he was Kenly's Mayor. Mr. Broughton was treasurer of the Kenly Masonic Lodge, on the Board of Directors of the Farmer's Bank, member of the Beulah Township Road Commission, distributor of Red Cross flour to needy in 1933, and president of the Parent-Teacher Association. He was also active in the Kenly Missionary Baptist Church (founded 1906) and serving as both Deacon and Sunday School Superintendent from 1910-1936, church treasurer for twenty years, and served on the Executive Board of Johnston County Baptist Church association in 1925.


Eva May Broughton, daughter of John G. and Pattie Lewis High of Kenly, was a devoted mother and homemaker. She was a member of the Kenly Methodist Church, teaching Sunday School for many years. She was a correspondent and wrote for the Kenly Newsletter and for the Smithfield Herald Newspaper.


A. J. and Eva May Broughton, devoted parents and community leaders, helped mold the Kenly Community into the active town it is today.


Memorial contribution made by Philip Ray Broughton.

Go to top