honors-and-memorials

Barnes, William and Maggie

William and Maggie

William Orangie Barnes
September 28, 1878 — March 24, 1956


Maggie Hinnant Barnes
March 6, 1882 — January 19, 1998

 

This memorial and honor was made by the five daughters.

 

Orangie and Maggie were married on October 22, 1899, in Wilson County. They lived there for five years, then moved to Kenly in 1904. Orangie worked as a cook and Maggie as the housekeeper for the hotel that housed the men working for the first lumber mill in Kenly. They worked for the hotel until the mill moved on to other uncut areas. Orangie then went to work for Wilkinson Mill in Kenly and Maggie did domestic work. They later moved to the country and farmed on the Grady and Kirby farms, raising tobacco, cotton, and corn.

 

Orangie and Maggie were very active members of Mincey Chapel O.F.W. Baptist Church. Orangie served as a deacon and Sunday School Superintendent. Maggie was a Church Mother and a Sunday School Teacher. She taught for fifty-two years. They had fifteen children, eight of which lived to be adults; Lillian, Clara, Gladys, Nell, Willie, Mary, Ruth and Mildred. They also had two foster children, Carrie and Charles. As of this writing, there are five daughters and two foster children living.

 

Orangie and Maggie reared their children in a Christian home, teaching them to fear God and respect all people. Orangie is buried in the family plot at Boyette. Maggie is still living in the home on Tilghman Street in Kenly, where they moved after they stopped farming.

Go to top