honors-and-memorials

Cameron, A.B. and Belinda

Mr. & Mrs. Cameron 
Cameron, Angus and Belinda

Belinda Wilkinson Barnes
(1885-1945)
Parents: Dr. Wright and Pernette Bridgers Barnes
Angus Blue Cameron
(1870c.-1940)

Belinda Barnes, called Linda, grew up in Elm City, North Carolina.  She was one of the six children of Dr. and Mrs. Wright Barnes.  Linda attended the Elm City Academy where she met her future husband, A. B. Cameron.  Mr. Cameron was Headmaster of the academy at that time.

Blinda Barnes attended Meredith College and then returned to Elm City.  After their marriage in 1904.  Linda and A. B. Cameron moved to Cameron, NC where they both taught school.  They later lived in Carthage where he taugh.  In the 1920's he was Superintendent of Moore County Schools.  Mr. Cameron was a Representative from Moore County in the 1933 Session of the Legislature.  

 

Belinda Barnes was a Baptist, A. B. was a Presbyterian.  They were married in the Elm City Missionary Baptist Church.                                       

"Aunt Linda's" nieces lovingly remember that she was an excellent cook.  Mr. Cameron was known to these niceces as "Uncle Ang."

The handmade, silk wedding dress, worn by Belinda Barnes Cameron, was given to the Tobacco Farm Life Museum by her niece Rebecca Carter Lucas in the summer of 1988.

Various pictures of the couple at this wedding were give to the museum by another niece, Charlie Dawes Bailey.

This memorial contribution was made by Mrs. Cameron's nieces and nephews at the time the dress was placed on display at the museum.

 

Contribution made by:

E. Pridgen Barnes

Mrs. William P. Murphy

Arch D. Barnes

Margaret Edwards

Rebecca Lucas

Go to top